Our local Stratford family dentists, Dr Kolanska and Dr Codreanu have young children of their own. For them, this year Halloween (like everything else in 2020) may be a little bit different. While many families may not feel comfortable going door to door for trick-or-treating, that does not mean that Halloween itself must be cancelled. There are many other things that families can do together to enjoy Halloween while staying safe and (mostly) sugar-free.
And because we care about your oral health, we at Coventry Dental Care will give you extra credit if you can do some of these options using sugar-free or healthier alternatives! For more ideas, you can read our previous blogs on tooth-friendly alternatives to candy and tips for a healthier Halloween. (And if you are having sugar – just make sure to enjoy in moderation and then brush and floss after!)
Here is a list of alternatives to going door to door trick-or-treating this Halloween:
- Make a pinata and fill it with little toys or healthy treats like goldfish crackers packets or dried fruit.
- Turn your home into a haunted house and have the kids dress up as they go through it.
- Have a Halloween themed scavenger hunt in your backyard with treats at each clue or a bigger prize at the end.
- Make a campfire and tell ghost stories around it.
- Watch scary movies with popcorn – just be sure to floss after!
- Halloween candy fence, tree or table out front – leave treats on the tree for others to grab while maintaining social distance.
- Have a neighbourhood costume parade so kids can still show off their costumes but be safe!
- Trick or treat at home, pretending each doorway is a new house.
- Carve pumpkins or make Halloween-themed decorations.
- Head to the kitchen and bake Halloween cupcakes or mummy hot dogs (wrapped in crescent roll dough).
- Family DIY costume contest– this can let you get creative – set a time limit then search around the house for anything you can use to make your crazy ideas come to life and have a family costume contest!
- Boo your neighbours – check out our last blog on how to “Boo your neighbours” to learn more about spreading fall cheer and for our tips on some sugar-free treats you could include.
No matter how you celebrate this year, we at Coventry Dental Care wish you a happy and safe Halloween. And if anyone in your family is looking for a dentist, Dr Kolanska and Dr Codreanu are currently welcoming new patients of all ages! To book an appointment, contact us or call 519-305-9100 and we will be happy to help you!